"The overall idea of the album is a slow and gradual process taking apart the violin sound" says Aisha and features her reinterpretations of music from an eclectic collection of musicians - Steve Reich, Morton Feldman, Elvis Presley and John Cale - along with her own compositions. Opener Violin Phase (1967) by Steve Reich and performed live sets the scene - "the kind of solid, rhythmic material which is ideal for 'unravelling' the music to come."
Her lilting take on Harbor Lights taken from Elvis Presley's 1954 Sun Sessions sees Aisha take lead vocal and replaces the original guitar and bass with three plucked violins. A student of the renowned World College Of The Adriatic, Aisha has worked with Sir Harrison Birtwistle, Helmut Lachenmann, the London Sinfonietta, Ensemble Modern, Pierre Boulez, Peter Eotvos and Sir Colin Davies.
As a soloist she has performed at the Aldeburgh, Klangspuren and Latitude festivals, and venues including Wigmore Hall, King’s Place, Vortex Jazz Club, Café Oto, Zankel and Weill Recital Halls at Carnegie Hall, La Maison de Radio France in Paris, Le Corum in Montpellier and London’s South Bank. Aisha has performed live on BBC Radio 3 and 4, France Musique and Kazakh National TV. Other performance broadcasts include Radio France, Resonance FM, WQXR New York and ORF Austrian TV.
She also co-directs London Contemporary Music Festival with Lucy Railton, Igor Toronyi-Lalic and Sam Mackay.
Digital Track List
- 1 Violin Phase (Live) Aisha Orazbayeva 15:54 Buy
- 2 Harbour Lights Aisha Orazbayeva 3:08 Buy
- 3 For Aaron Copland Aisha Orazbayeva 4:35 Buy
- 4 Two Sounds Two Aisha Orazbayeva 10:22 Buy
- 5 For Aaron Copland 2 Aisha Orazbayeva 4:28 Buy
- 6 Baby You Know (Arranged for Voice Solo) Aisha Orazbayeva 1:58 Buy
- 7 Aloise Aisha Orazbayeva 4:22 Buy
- 8 Baby You Know (Arranged for Violin Solo) Aisha Orazbayeva 4:01 Buy