In stock, shipping now.
320 kbps, LAME-encoded
Fuelled by caffeine, nervous energy and early Orbital and Photek, ‘Upstepping’ is an album of newclassical electronic experimentalism where Coates pushes the boundaries of what a cello is capable of. As Coates explains, “About 95 per cent of the sounds are derived from recording the cello and processing it digitally. A hi-hat equivalent is often a distorted, compressed and heavily EQ’d horsehair-on-steel stroke. All the melodic pitched sounds, even the ones that feel like keys, are samples of the tail of a cello harmonic. For example, ‘Perfect Love’ is a study in grey, concealing the source – it’s 100 per cent made from different types of cello attack.”
The result is an astonishing record rich in the sonic and rhythmic palette of dance and electronic music - with hints of early rave, garage and the sounds of 1980s London pirate radios – and one which re-defines the possibilities of classical instrumentation.
Digital Track List
- 1 Innocent Love Oliver Coates 7:20 Buy
- 2 Timelapse (Walrus) Oliver Coates 7:40 Buy
- 3 Bambi 2046 Oliver Coates 5:16 Buy
- 4 Perfect Love Oliver Coates 6:53 Buy
- 5 Memorial to Hitchens Oliver Coates 2:54 Buy
- 6 The Irish Book of Death & Flying Ships Oliver Coates 2:56 Buy
- 7 Stash Oliver Coates 8:18 Buy
- 8 Rise & Fall Oliver Coates 3:42 Buy